GOURMET BURGERS, INC.
AMENDED AND RESTATED
2007 PERFORMANCE INCENTIVE PLAN
OUTSIDE DIRECTOR STOCK OPTION AGREEMENT
THIS OUTSIDE DIRECTOR STOCK OPTION AGREEMENT (this Option Agreement) by and between RED ROBIN GOURMET BURGERS, INC., a Delaware corporation (the Corporation), and (the grantee of the option, Grantee) evidences the nonqualified stock option (the Option) granted by the Corporation to the Grantee as to the number of shares of the Corporations Common Stock(1), the Award (Grant) Date, the Grant (Exercise) Price per share, the Expiration (Expiry) Date(2) and the Vesting Schedule (collectively, the Grant Terms), all of which are set forth and described as a Grant and contained in Grantees Director Portfolio on the Computershare website (the Website) (unless otherwise specified by the Corporation), and expressly incorporated herein by reference, and made a part hereof.
The Option is granted under the Red Robin Gourmet Burgers, Inc. Amended and Restated 2007 Performance Incentive Plan (the Plan) and subject to the Grant Terms, the Terms and Conditions of Nonqualified Stock Option (the Terms) contained in this Option Agreement and to the Plan. The Option has been granted to the Grantee in addition to, and not in lieu of, any other form of compensation otherwise payable or to be paid to the Grantee. Capitalized terms are defined in the Plan if not defined herein. The Grantee acknowledges receipt of a copy of this Option Agreement, the Grant Terms, the Plan and the Prospectus for the Plan.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF NONQUALIFIED STOCK OPTION
1. Vesting; Limits on Exercise; Incentive Stock Option Status.
The Option may be exercised only to the extent the Option is vested and exercisable. The Option shall vest and become exercisable as set forth on the Vesting Schedule; for the Option described in the Grant in the Grantees Director Portfolio on the Website.
· Cumulative Exercisability. To the extent that the Option is vested and exercisable, the Grantee has the right to exercise the Option (to the extent not previously exercised), and such right shall continue, until the expiration or earlier termination of the Option.
· No Fractional Shares. Fractional share interests shall be disregarded, but may be cumulated.
· Nonqualified Stock Option. The Option is a nonqualified stock option and is not, and shall not be, an incentive stock option within the meaning of Section 422 of the Code.
(1) Subject to adjustment under Section 7.1 of the Plan.
(2) Subject to early termination under Section 4 of this Option Agreement and Section 7.4 of the Plan.
2. Continuance of Employment/Service Required; No Employment/Service Commitment.
The vesting schedule described in the Grantees Director Portfolio on the Website with respect to the Grant requires continued employment or service through each applicable vesting date as a condition to the vesting of the applicable installment of the Option and the rights and benefits under this Option Agreement. Employment or service for only a portion of the vesting period, even if a substantial portion, will not entitle the Grantee to any proportionate vesting or avoid or mitigate a termination of rights and benefits upon or following a termination of employment or services as provided in Section 4 below or under the Plan.
Nothing contained in this Option Agreement or the Plan constitutes a continued employment or service commitment by the Corporation or any of its Subsidiaries, affects the Grantees status, if he or she is an employee, as an employee at will who is subject to termination without cause, confers upon the Grantee any right to remain employed by or in service to the Corporation or any Subsidiary, interferes in any way with the right of the Corporation or any Subsidiary at any time to terminate such employment or service, or affects the right of the Corporation or any Subsidiary to increase or decrease the Grantees other compensation.
3. Method of Exercise of Option.
The Option shall be exercisable by the delivery to the Secretary of the Corporation (or such other person as the Administrator may require pursuant to such administrative exercise procedures as the Administrator may implement from time to time) of:
· a written notice stating the number of shares of Common Stock to be purchased pursuant to the Option or by the completion of such other administrative exercise procedures as the Administrator may require from time to time,
· payment in full for the Exercise Price of the shares to be purchased in cash, check or by electronic funds transfer to the Corporation, or (subject to compliance with all applicable laws, rules, regulations and listing requirements and further subject to such rules as the Administrator may adopt as to any non-cash payment) in shares of Common Stock already owned by the Participant, valued at their Fair Market Value on the exercise date, provided, however, that any shares initially acquired upon exercise of a stock option or otherwise from the Corporation must have been owned by the Participant for at least six (6) months before the date of such exercise;
· any written statements or agreements required pursuant to Section 8.1 of the Plan; and
· satisfaction of the tax withholding provisions of Section 8.5 of the Plan.
The Administrator also may, but is not required to, authorize a non-cash payment alternative by notice and third party payment in such manner as may be authorized by the Administrator.
4. Early Termination of Option.
4.1 Possible Acceleration of Option upon Change in Control. As provided in Section 7.3 of the Plan, if the Corporation undergoes a Change in Control Event, any outstanding Option will become fully vested.
4.2 Termination of Option upon a Termination of Grantees Employment or Services. Subject to earlier termination on the Expiration Date of the Option, if the Grantee ceases to be employed by or ceases to provide services to the Corporation or a Subsidiary, the following rules shall apply (the last day that the Grantee is employed by or provides services to the Corporation or a Subsidiary is referred to as the Grantees Severance Date):
· other than as expressly provided below in this Section 4.2, (a) the Grantee will have until the date that is 24 months after his or her Severance Date to exercise the Option (or portion thereof) to the extent that it was vested on the Severance Date, (b) the Option, to the extent not vested on the Severance Date, shall terminate on the Severance Date, and (c) the Option, to the extent exercisable for the 24 month period following the Severance Date and not exercised during such period, shall terminate at the close of business on the last day of the 24 month period;
· if the termination of the Grantees employment or services is the result of the Grantees death or Total Disability (as defined below), then the Grantee (or his beneficiary or personal representative, as the case may be) will have until the date that is 24 months after the Grantees Severance Date to exercise the Option, (b) the Option, to the extent not vested on the Severance Date, shall terminate on the Severance Date, and (c) the Option, to the extent exercisable for the 24-month period following the Severance Date and not exercised during such period, shall terminate at the close of business on the last day of the 24-month period;
· if the Grantees employment or services are terminated by the Corporation or a Subsidiary for Cause (as defined below), the Option (whether vested or not) shall terminate on the Severance Date.
For purposes of the Option, Total Disability means a permanent and total disability (within the meaning of Section 22(e)(3) of the Code or as otherwise determined by the Administrator).
For purposes of the Option, Cause means that the Grantee:
· has been negligent in the discharge of his or her duties to the Corporation or any of its Subsidiaries, has refused to perform stated or assigned duties or is incompetent in or (other than by reason of a disability or analogous condition) incapable of performing those duties;
· has been dishonest or committed or engaged in an act of theft, embezzlement or fraud, a breach of confidentiality, an unauthorized disclosure or use of inside information, customer lists, trade secrets or other confidential information; has
breached a fiduciary duty, or willfully and materially violated any other duty, law, rule, regulation or policy of the Corporation, any of its Subsidiaries or any affiliate of the Corporation or any of its Subsidiaries; or has been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor (other than minor traffic violations or similar offenses);
· has materially breached any of the provisions of any agreement with the Corporation, any of its Subsidiaries or any affiliate of the Corporation or any of its Subsidiaries; or
· has engaged in unfair competition with, or otherwise acted intentionally in a manner injurious to the reputation, business or assets of, the Corporation, any of its Subsidiaries or any affiliate of the Corporation or any of its Subsidiaries; has improperly induced a vendor or customer to enter into, break or terminate any contract with the Corporation, any of its Subsidiaries or any affiliate of the Corporation or any of its Subsidiaries; or has induced a principal for whom the Corporation, any of its Subsidiaries or any affiliate of the Corporation or any of its Subsidiaries acts as agent to terminate such agency relationship.
In all events the Option is subject to earlier termination on the Expiration Date of the Option. The Administrator shall be the sole judge of whether the Grantee continues to render employment or services for purposes of this Option Agreement.
The Option and any other rights of the Grantee under this Option Agreement or the Plan are nontransferable and exercisable only by the Grantee, except as set forth in Section 5.7 of the Plan.
Any notice to be given under the terms of this Option Agreement shall be in writing and addressed to the Corporation at its principal office to the attention of the Secretary, and to the Grantee at the address last reflected on the Corporations payroll records, or at such other address as either party may hereafter designate in writing to the other. Any such notice shall be delivered in person or shall be enclosed in a properly sealed envelope addressed as aforesaid, registered or certified, and deposited (postage and registry or certification fee prepaid) in a post office or branch post office regularly maintained by the United States Government. Any such notice shall be given only when received, but if the Grantee is no longer employed by the Corporation or a Subsidiary, shall be deemed to have been duly given five business days after the date mailed in accordance with the foregoing provisions of this Section 6.
The Option and all rights of the Grantee under this Option Agreement are subject to, and the Grantee agrees to be bound by, all of the terms and conditions of the Plan, incorporated herein by this reference. In the event of a conflict or inconsistency between the terms and conditions of this Option Agreement and of the Plan, the terms and conditions of the Plan shall govern. The Grantee agrees to be bound by the terms of the Plan and this Option Agreement
(including these Terms). The Grantee acknowledges having read and understanding the Plan, the Prospectus for the Plan, and this Option Agreement. Unless otherwise expressly provided in other sections of this Option Agreement, provisions of the Plan that confer discretionary authority on the Board or the Administrator do not and shall not be deemed to create any rights in the Grantee unless such rights are expressly set forth herein or are otherwise in the sole discretion of the Board or the Administrator so conferred by appropriate action of the Board or the Administrator under the Plan after the date hereof.
8. Entire Agreement.
The Grant, the Grant Terms and this Option Agreement and the Plan together constitute the entire agreement and supersede all prior understandings and agreements, written or oral, of the parties hereto with respect to the subject matter hereof. The Plan and this Option Agreement may be amended pursuant to Section 8.6 of the Plan. Such amendment must be in writing and signed by the Corporation. The Corporation may, however, unilaterally waive any provision hereof in writing to the extent such waiver does not adversely affect the interests of the Grantee hereunder, but no such waiver shall operate as or be construed to be a subsequent waiver of the same provision or a waiver of any other provision hereof.
9. Governing Law.
This Option Agreement shall be governed by and construed and enforced in accordance with the laws of the State of Delaware without regard to conflict of law principles thereunder.
10. Effect of this Agreement.
Subject to any early termination of the Option pursuant to Section 7.4 of the Plan, this Option Agreement shall be assumed by, be binding upon and inure to the benefit of any successor or successors to the Corporation.
11. Section Headings.
The section headings of this Option Agreement are for convenience of reference only and shall not be deemed to alter or affect any provision hereof.